.

Our first post was 8th November 2008 since when we have had 42,000 different visitors from 107 countries.

This website is yours and you have made it the interest it is by sharing your memories with us all.

Please continue to send us photos and memories of Wateringbury for new generations to enjoy and see how the village once was.

Please send us your memories no matter how small. Either send them by the contact form or directly to me by email at john.gilham@mail.com

.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Boorman Butchers in Old Road

Boorman Butchers Shop - Old Road Wateringbury 1890's
Another great photo from John Boorman who writes:-

As far as I am aware it is one of two existing pictures showing the Boorman butcher's shop in the Old Road and as far as I am aware it is the only existing picture of Charles Boorman (1845-1901) my great grandfather and the son of the founder of the business William Boorman. Charles is shown here with my grandfather Harry Boorman who took over the business, first with his brother William, and then on his own from about 1911 to 1943. 

As you will be able to deduce Charles died at the age of 56 on 31 Dec 1901 and Harry was born 18 Feb 1869. I would have guessed, working from the apparent ages of the two men that this photo would date from about 1895 but my brother, who knows more about the history of photography than I, thinks late 1890s.


Photo and words courtesy of John & Nigel Boorman

1 comment:

NicolaThompson said...

What a super photo of my Great Grandfather Harry and Great Great Grandfather. My Grandmother was Nellie Boorman and my mother was Betty Boorman.
Thank you John.