.

Our first post was 8th November 2008 since when we have had 42,000 different visitors from 107 countries.

This website is yours and you have made it the interest it is by sharing your memories with us all.

Please continue to send us photos and memories of Wateringbury for new generations to enjoy and see how the village once was.

Please send us your memories no matter how small. Either send them by the contact form or directly to me by email at john.gilham@mail.com

.

Sunday, February 23, 2020

A1 Mobile Fish & Chip Van

The A1 Mobile Fish & Chip van would call at Glebe Meadow every Saturday morning. It would first stop at the top outside No 17 and 18 and then move down to its second stop outside No12. When he was ready to serve he would ring a hand bell. Both the vans look familiar and though I thought the green one was how I remembered it I really remember the chimney on the black and white photo. My memory is from the early 1960's.

5 comments:

Michael Shepherd said...

Best fish and chips around at the time.I lived in Pizien Well and always looKed forward to A1 making a visit.Great memory

Jan Rose said...

The A1 mobile chip van service was started by my great grandfather, Robert Dale. He had seen a van selling fried fish at a greyhound track in London and realised the potential for the area around Maidstone - he had a fried-fish shop in Sandling Road & knew a lot of customers came from the surrounding villages bought their supper from him & took it home to reheat, so decided to bring it to the villages instead. Soon he had 7 vans staffed by family members (he had 9 children) The first vans had coal fired frying pans, but after a collision in fog started a fire he switched to bottled gas.

John Gilham said...

Hi Jan, if you see this could you contact me via John.gilham@mail.com as I have someone related to you wishing to contact you. Thanks John

mobilezmarket said...

The A1 Mobile Fish & Chip Van is a true delight for foodies on the go, offering delicious, freshly cooked fish and chips right at your doorstep. With its convenient mobile setup, this van brings the beloved taste of classic British comfort food to communities across the region.

John Gilham said...

The only information I have is that the van visited in the 1960's which I certainly remember. I can smell it now!